Tarriela’s video and image posts depicted a diver using a knife to sever the cable connecting the buoys, while another photo showed personnel removing an anchor from the “floating barrier.”
Earlier on Monday, Eduardo Ano, national security adviser to Marcos, had indicated that Manila would take “all necessary measures to ensure the removal” of the buoys, which were estimated to be 300 meters (1,000 feet) long.
China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson Wang Wenbin had previously defended the installation of the “floating barrier”, saying its coastguard took necessary measures in accordance with the law to drive away a Philippine vessel.
He did not specify which law he was citing to justify the installation of the barrier.
China claims 90 percent of the South China Sea, an area that overlaps with the exclusive economic zones (EEZ) of Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia and the Philippines.
The Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs said the barrier was a violation of international law and the Philippines would “take all appropriate measures to protect our country’s sovereignty and the livelihood of our fisherfolk”.
Philippine coastguard and fisheries bureau personnel discovered the floating barrier, on a routine patrol on Friday near the shoal.
According to Filipino fishermen, the Chinese coastguard usually installs such barriers when it monitors a large number of fishermen in the area and then removes it later, Tarriela said.
Scarborough Shoal is within the 200-nautical-mile (370km) EEZ of the Philippines as defined by international maritime law and affirmed by a ruling of The Hague’s International Court of Arbitration.
Beijing claims the area as part of its territory and refers to Scarborough Shoal as Huangyan Island.
In 2012, Beijing seized control of Scarborough Shoal from the Philippines and forced Filipino fishermen to travel farther for smaller catches.